Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Blind Love

Yesterday afternoon's post about the unlonely professor reminded me of a story that my mom told me about my dad. And since there are a few degrees of separation between me and the original telling of the story, I'll do my best to get all the details correct.

A few years ago my dad's job with Northwest Airlines took him to Detroit, Michigan. In the beginning he commuted to Detroit from Atlanta, but eventually he rented an apartment. One day as he was walking through the airport, he saw a lady with a white cane come out of the women's restroom. She was obviously blind, hence the white cane. Then, she started calling a man's name (let's call him Bill). "Bill... Bill..."

Being the good Samaritan he is, my dad asked her, "Ma'am do you need some help?"
"Oh, thank you, but I'm just trying to find my husband," she said. "He just stepped into the restroom."

Before she even finished her sentence, a man with a white cane walked out of the men's restroom and began calling a woman's name (let's call her Jill). "Jill..."

The woman turned her head to the men's restroom. "I'm over here Bill," she answered. Turning back to my dad she said, "Thank you for your help sir, but I found him."

My dad stood in amazement as the blind couple, traveling together in a busy airport, walked down the terminal holding hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment